Global wine production is 26.7 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.3% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Global wine export value is $37.0 billion of which Canada represents 0.1% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Global wine export volume is 12.1 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.02% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Globally, top 5 wine exporters by value are France, Italy, Spain, Australia and Chile. Canada is ranked 35th in world in export value (100% Canadian/VQA).
Exports of Canadian Bottled Wine
- In 2019, Canadian bottled wine exports totaled 1.5 million litres, valued at $32.1 million
- The top 5 bottled wine export markets by value are China, the United States, South Korea, Hong Kong and Japan, representing 85.1% of export value and 87.3% of export volume
Exports of Canadian Icewine
- Canada is the world’s largest consistent producer of Icewine, with annual harvest temperatures dropping to ‐8C and colder
- In 2019, Icewine represented 58.4% of total export value ($18.7 million) and 13.3% of export volume (205,398 litres), as a percentage of total bottled exports
Imports of Bottled Wine to Canada
- Volume of imported bottled wine in 2019 totaled 299.6 million litres, valued at $2.4 billion
- The top 5 import markets in 2019 were France, Italy, the United States, Australia and Spain, representing 79.7% of import value and 74.8% import volume
Control and Sale of Alcoholic Beverages
This Statistics Canada report analyzes the sales of alcoholic beverages in Canada and sets out, in detail, government revenue derived from the control and sale of alcoholic beverages. The publication is an excellent source of information on sales patterns of alcoholic beverages in Canada.