Global wine production is 26.7 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.3% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Global wine export value is $37.0 billion of which Canada represents 0.1% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Global wine export volume is 12.1 billion litres of which Canada represents 0.02% (100% Canadian/VQA)
Globally, top 5 wine exporters by value are France, Italy, Spain, Australia and Chile. Canada is ranked 35th in world in export value (100% Canadian/VQA).
Exports of Canadian Bottled Wine
- In 2021, Canadian bottled wine exports totaled 1 million litres, valued at $23.5 million
- The top 5 bottled wine export markets by value are China, the United States, Hong Kong and the UK , representing 84.1% of export value and 90.9% of export volume
Exports of Canadian Icewine
- Canada is the world’s largest consistent producer of Icewine, with annual harvest temperatures dropping to ‐8C and colder
- In 2021, Icewine represented 61.1% of total export value ($14.3 million) and 14.7% of export volume (158,696 litres), as a percentage of total bottled exports
Imports of Bottled Wine to Canada
- Volume of imported bottled wine in 2021 totaled 297.6 million litres, valued at $2.6 billion
- The top 5 import markets in 2021 were France, Italy, the United States, Spain and Australia, representing 81.9% of import value and 76.5% import volume
Control and Sale of Alcoholic Beverages
This Statistics Canada report analyzes the sales of alcoholic beverages in Canada and sets out, in detail, government revenue derived from the control and sale of alcoholic beverages. The publication is an excellent source of information on sales patterns of alcoholic beverages in Canada.